Monday, February 21, 2011

NYFW: Milly by Michelle Smith


If the fall 2011 Milly show does not inspire you to take some fashion risks, then I'm not sure what will.  Bright, bold lip color? Don't mind if I do.  Velvet gloves with a fabulous hat?  Bring it on.  Leopard with teal, or hot pink with crush orange?  It works.  (Note: This entire collection makes me want to throw away all the blah sweaters and jeans in my closet and start over.)  


Some of the trends in the show were velvet jackets, bright silk blouses, long hemlines, sassy tights, see though lace pieces, hats galore, colorful gloves and bold prints mixed with solids. 


In an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Milly designer Michelle Smith said this about her inspiration for this collection. “I think trends from the 70s are perfect for right now. Also, I design around the fabrics I choose. This season, I’ve been using luxuriously textured materials, like mohair, suede and tweeds. To balance the heavier looks, I’m including fluid silky dresses, some bias cuts and evening pieces.”

One thing we noticed about these looks is that even though by some standards, some of the outfits would be considered a little over the top for every day wear, they are all indeed very wearable.  No impractical shoes or overly sexy dresses.  Just fun, wearable, FABULOUS pieces!  If you mixed and matched some of these looks to fit your style, we’d say you’ve got a great start on an amazing fall wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails