Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chatting with The Queen of Fashion -- Nina Garcia

Nina Garcia tells us all about her fourth style book, designers we should have on our radar and just how to find that fashion balance.

Believe me--there's pressure when you're deciding what to wear to a meeting with an iconic fashion designer or a member of the press. It can be terrifying. But instead of panicking, I stop, take a deep breath, and remember that I speak "fashion." And by the time you have read this book, you'll be able to speak the language of fashion too, at all the key moments of your life.
--
from Nina Garcia's Look Book


We all must take some time to listen to Nina Garcia. Not only is she the queen of  fashion in our eyes but her fourth (soon-to-be bestselling) style book just hit shelves last week and her advice can make you or break you! Nina, who has three bestselling books on style under her belt also is fashion director of Marie Claire and star judge on Project Runway the hit reality series on Lifetime.  

When we received the style bible, as we call it - immediately we were hooked, turning pages as quickly as possible and just couldn't put it down. You will never have to ask yourself, "What should I wear?" because Nina answers all of your questions for you! From the many fashion do's to the don'ts to meeting the parents and landing that perfect job -- with Nina on your side, Nina Garcia's Look Book gives you everything you need to get the perfect can-do outfit and have confidence when you step out the door. 

As if her plate isn't full enough, she is expecting her second child in December and serves as Target's 2010 Style Expert but we were lucky to catch up with her to say congrats on her latest great read! 





In your new book, Nina Garcia's Look Book: What to Wear for Every
 Occasion, you give us many options! Do you have a favorite look? 
I had so much fun working on what to wear at night--to cocktail parties, gallery openings, the opera, etc.  The excitement of getting "all dressed up" is what fashion is all about, and every woman-no matter what she tells you-loves to feel glamorous and beautiful.
 



Out of all your don't and do throughout the book, do you have a #1 don't? 
I’m asked this question a lot so I feel a bit like a broken record, but it’s definitely wearing clothes that don’t fit properly.  I can’t stress enough the importance of paying attention to proportion and shape when putting together an outfit.  An impeccably tailored garment can instantly take 10 pounds off.  It’s truly the world’s easiest diet, and will instantly make a high-street buy look so much more expensive.  



What is your everyday 'go-to' outfit for yourself? 
At the moment, I’m pregnant and can’t leave home without Alexander Wang’s drapey tees and a pair of comfortable, easy cargo pants. Current/Elliott makes great ones that fit well and don’t look too overly casual. 


Do you have any advice for women that are trying to balance work and family? 
I know how much of a challenge this can be!  Invest in timeless, classic pieces like a great trench, perfectly tailored black trousers, and beautifully-made shoes.  Once you have a solid foundation wardrobe, it’s so easy to change it up with accessories and flesh it out with less-expensive basics.  Keep your base garments fairly neutral and add a splash of color with an bold printed scarf or a chunky statement necklace.  And of course, read my Look Book for even more fabulous advice.
 



Have you considered doing your own style show? We need more Nina in
 our lives! 
Well thank you!  For now I have my hands full with my books, Marie Claire, Project Runway, and a baby on the way, but you never know what the future holds.
 

What, in your opinion, was the best season of Project Runway to date? 
They’re all so different that it’s tough to compare.  The first season was the most exciting because it was so new to everyone—that season’s close to my heart.
 



Fashion week is soon approaching! Do you have any designers we 
should really look out for while we are there? 
I am always exciting to check out the work of up-and-coming young designers. There are so many talented ones coming out of London in particular--I love Louise Goldin, Erdem, and Preen.
 



What is up next for you?
With the release of my Look Book, the next two weeks are going to be jam-packed. Once that’s finished, my son is due in December—so I’ll certainly have my hands full! 


If you don't have Nina Garcia's Look Book yet you need to immediately next day ship it to yourself from Amazon or head to the book store now. Until then, make sure you follow Nina Garcia on Twitter, Facebook and her website.


"True style is not about having a closet full of expensive and beautiful things--it is instead about knowing when, where, and how to utilize your collection." -- Nina Garcia 

3 comments:

  1. That was a great interview !! I just love Nina Garcia and have her books but the not the latest one yet iam hoping over to Amazon to order one now !! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing article! I NEED to get this book now!!!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! I'm reading the Look Book right now and I love it! I love all of her books they are my style bibles!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails